About the School
As a unit of the Hixson-Lied College of Fine and Performing Arts, the School of Art, Art History & Design is committed to the philosophy that prospective artists, designs and art historians must be provided with a thorough education, and practical skills for productive lives as professionals.
The department also educates students preparing for careers in art related fields and students wishing to enhance their education through art study and experiences, and serves the broader Nebraska community by providing cultural enrichment.
The department’s goals include:
- To educate students for professional or academic work in art and art history to the highest degree of the students’ artistic and intellectual ability,
- To provide an environment that is conducive to growth and development of students and ensures that all students have the opportunity to succeed,
- To assist all students in the development of an intellectual foundation with critical awareness of visual culture,
- To offer programs that keep Nebraska’s best students in state, that also attract the nation’s and world’s best students, and that support the retention of all students.
- To provide access to varied and meaningful cultural experiences that enhance the quality of life for all of Nebraska’s citizens through public exhibitions, publications and presentations.
Teaching, research/creative activity, and service are the traditional and primary courses of action utilized in order to accomplish these program goals. Our educational outreach and public service mission is a direct outgrowth of our teaching, research, and creative activity, and serves to enhance the quality of life and the cultural diversity of Nebraska’s citizens.
The school offers four degrees and three majors: the BA, BFA and MFA in Studio Art; the BA and BFA in Graphic Design; and the BA and MA in Art History. Studio art students may emphasize any of the following areas of study: Ceramics, Drawing, Painting, Photography, Printmaking, Sculpture, and interdiscoplinary studio art.
About the Department
As an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design, UNL’s School of Art, Art History & Design meets the highest academic standards required of all professional art and design schools.
We offer two degrees at the undergraduate level: the bachelor of fine arts (BFA) with a major in art, or graphic design, and the bachelor of arts (BA) with a major in art, art history, or graphic design. Art majors may choose to emphasize in one or more of the following areas:
Students work closely with teachers who have national and international reputations in art, art history, and archaeology. The Sheldon Museum of Art and Great Plains Art Museum offer additional opportunities for students to learn and work with major art collections.
As part of a major national university, students can complement their art studies with courses from 120 different degree programs from Classics to International Business, or Horticulture to Textiles. The university's national reputation for research, academic excellence, and athletics makes this an extraordinary college experience for all of our students. When you come to UNL you will join a thriving community of professional artists and focused students. You will work in one of the best art making environments in the country.