Colleen SyronAssistant Professor of Art (Branding, Advertising & Interactivity)
Area of Focus: Graphic Design
BFA in Graphic Design – University of Notre Dame, Indiana
My professional aim is to provide evidence of how design thinking can contribute to greater overall success and impact in academic research). My passion for design for social good has allowed me to apply my breadth and depth of experience in the art, communications, branding, design, human-centered/user-experience, documentary photography and videography, interactive (and often times emerging) technologies, website development, social media and marketing, and engagement to collaborate with community partnerships and researchers to identify innovative ways to interpret, translate, and disseminate findings.
I team with academic research across campus. Grants that I am involved with are:
The Rural Drug Addiction Research Center (rdar.unl.edu) seeks to understand the causes and effects of drug addiction in rural areas through a five-year study funded by the National Institute of General Medical Science’s Centers of Biomedical Research Excellence program. Our goal is to investigate rural addiction from synapse to society. Some of the projects housed in the RDAR Center focus on brain chemistry, others on the social patterns of drug use, and still others on the epigenetic combination of biology and experience. Our hope is that this research will lead to new ways to treat people who have an addiction and to prevent addiction from taking hold of rural lives and communities.
I serve as the Community Health and Public Dissemination Coordinator where I provide interpretation of the data, results, and complex analyses for community dissemination and provide visual tools for making complex research results more “friendly” to non-scientists with the aim of the planning of a Translation, Education, and Prevention Core Facility in RDAR’s second phase.
I am currently serving as Communications and Dissemination Director for the Worlds of Connections Project led by Dr. Julia McQuillan and funded by NIH SEPA (Science Education Partnership Award). This project is developing dynamic learning activities and building partnerships between middle school youth, NIH-funded network scientists, learning research and educators to increase awareness of and interest in network science for health.
Graphic Design & Interactivity
Expertise & work includes:
Identity : Corporate Naming, Product Naming, Brand Architecture, Logo Design,
Business Applications, Standards Manuals
Branding : Positioning, Nomenclature, Brand Attributes, Brand Visuals, Brand Experience, Message Development, Message Mapping,
Marketing: Collateral, Packaging, Advertising, Point of Purchase, Direct Mail,
Trade Show/Exhibition, E-Mail Marketing
Advertising : Print, Online, Outdoor, Google Advertising,
Interactive : Information Architecture, Websites, Portals, Intranets, E-Commerce,
CMS, Facebook & Social Media, Interactive Storytelling, Video Development,
Mobile App, Re-Marketing, Analytics
Clients have included:
Sea Tow Services International, Stony Brook Medical Center, North Fork Potato Chips, RF|Binder, The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, FPIC, FGIC, CIBC World Markets, Symyx Technologies, Levine Children’s Hospital, Nextel, IBM, The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones, GE Financial Services, Merck Pharmaceuticals, Pfizer.
CoursesGraphic Design I & II
Interactive Design I: Introduction to User Centered Web Design
Interaction Design II: Interactive storytelling
Advertising Design & Integrated Brand Promotion
Design Studio I: Senior Thesis
Design Studio II: Capstone
Introduction to Branding
Self Branding for Artists and Designers
Honors and Awards• 2019 Hixson-Lied College Distinguished Teaching Award
• 2019 AIGA Gold Medal and Judge's Choice Award for "A Threat to Justice"
• 2019 Graphis Design Annual Honorable Mention for "Rural Addiction"
• 2019 Silver Addy for "Worlds of Connections"
• 2019 Marine Marketer's of America Neptune Award for Excellence: Honorable Mention for Online Advertising for "Parent with Confidence"
• 2018 Hixson-Lied Junior Faculty Achievement Award in Research and Creative Activity
• 2017-8 Lincoln's Parent's Association Certificate of Recognition for Contribution to Students
• 2016 MMA Neptune Award for Best Regional/Local Marketing Campaign
• 2014 MMA Neptune Award for Best Regional/Local Marketing Campaign
• 2014 Marine Marketers Neptune Award for Excellence in Marketing Communications – Best National Magazine Advertising Series, Best Consumer Mobile App, Best Regional and Local Marketing Campaign, Best Product Literature Series • MarCom Awards: Platinum Winner for “Improving the Health and Health Care of all Americans” – Interactive Storytelling
• New York Addy for “Campfire Felonious” – Advertisement for The Wall Street Journal
• New Media Invision Award: Gold Medal – Interactive Presentation for the Wall Street Journal
• AR 100 — Top 100 Annual Report Designs for GE Financial Services