All students are required to audition for acceptance into the Performance Major degree program.
Step 1: Apply to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Apply here: admissions.unl.edu/apply/.
Step 2: Submit application materials and video audition by February 18, 2021. Submit here: go.unl.edu/acting. Click "Log In" at top right corner and set up an Acceptd account. See Audition Guidelines below.
Step 3: Attend our Virtual Scholarship Audition Weekend "live" on February 20, 2021. Register here: go.unl.edu/VSAW. See Virtual Scholarship Audition Weekend on this page for more information, and check back for updates! (Students who are unable to attend the Virtual Scholarship Audition Weekend will still have their audition materials evaluated for acceptance into the program.)
- These guidelines are for the video audition and the Virtual Scholarship Audition Weekend
- You should perform two memorized monologues contrasting in mood (for example, a comedy and a drama)
- If you wish to sing, you can sing 32 bars (or a song) from a Broadway musical in addition to your two monologues
- Monologues should be no longer than 4 minutes combined
- Avoid dialects and pieces out of your age range
- Wear appropriate clothing
- We urge you to choose pieces that you feel strongly about, and show you at your best
Want more information? Schedule a Zoom meeting with Todd (email me at firstname.lastname@example.org).
Virtual Scholarship Audition Weekend
The Virtual Scholarship Audition Weekend on February 20 is your opportunity as a prospective student to audition "live" for the Performance Major and for scholarships. Students will be evaluated for the major and scholarships based upon audition, workshop participation, engagement, academics, and program compatibility. We plan to accept around 15 students into the Performance Major for Fall 2021.
The Johnny Carson School of Theatre & Film and the Nebraska Repertory Theatre allow students the opportunity to:
- Work alongside professional actors, directors, designers, choreographers, dancers, singers and stage managers
- Earn points for membership in Actors’ Equity Association (AEA helps negotiate wages, improve working conditions, and provides benefits, including health and pension)
- Participate in Theatrix, our student-run theatre company
- Study abroad during the summer at Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre in London, England
- Collaborate with Emerging Media Arts majors, Film majors, and Dance majors in the Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts
Registration and Application Requirements
Student plus one guest
Program (details TBA)
- Meet with faculty, students and staff
- Participate in virtual acting, voice, and movement workshops
- Facilities tour
- Meet with student representatives from several Carson School theatre organizations
- Q&A with parents
- Admissions information session
- View student films
- "Live" auditions via Acceptd portal (Your "live" audition can be done with the same monologues that you used for the Acceptd application, however; new monologues can also be used.)
Scholarships are only available for Performance Majors (theatre minors or non-majors are not eligible)
Questions? Please contact Todd at 402/472-2453 or email@example.com.