All students are required to audition for acceptance into the Performance Major. Audition options...
- Scholarship Audition Weekend - This takes place February 21-22, 2020 in Lincoln, NE. Students must audition this weekend for scholarship consideration. See Scholarship Audition Weekend on this page for more information. Begin registration here: [information coming].
- Video Audition - Submit application materials and a video audition by March 1, 2020 via our Acceptd portal: https://go.unl.edu/acting (choose Video Audition option)
- You should perform two memorized monologues contrasting in mood (for example, a comedy and a drama)
- If you wish to sing, you can sing 32 bars (or a song) from a Broadway musical in addition to your two monologues (we will provide an accompanist during our Scholarship Audition Weekend, please bring music in your key)
- Monologues should be no longer than 4 minutes combined
- Avoid dialects and pieces out of your age range
- Wear appropriate clothing
- We urge you to choose pieces that you feel strongly about, and show you at your best
See us at these Recruiting Events
- *Nov 21, 2019 North Texas Drama Auditions
- *Nov 25 Greater San Antonio Auditions
- *Dec 12-14 Colorado St Thespian Conference
- *Jan 2-4, 2020 Nebraska State Thespian Festival
- *Jan 9-11 Kansas Thespian Festival
- *Jan 9-11 Missouri Thespian Conference
- *Jun 22-27, 2020 Int'l Thespian Festival
*Contact festival for access to the registration and auditions
Scholarship Audition Weekend
The February 21-22 Scholarship Audition Weekend is your opportunity as a prospective student to audition for the Performance Major AND for scholarships. Students will be evaluated for the major and scholarships based upon audition, interview, workshop participation, engagement, academics, and program compatibility. We plan to accept around 15 students into the Performance Major for Fall 2020.
The Johnny Carson School of Theatre & Film and the Nebraska Repertory Theatre allows students the opportunity to:
- Work alongside professional actors, directors, designers, choreographers, dancers, singers and stage managers
- Earn points for membership in Actors’ Equity Association (AEA helps negotiate wages, improve working conditions, and provides benefits, including health and pension)
- Participate in Theatrix, our student-run theatre company
- Study abroad during the summer at Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre in London, England
- Collaborate with Emerging Media Arts majors, Film majors, and Dance majors in the Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts
Registration and Application Requirements
Student plus one guest [information coming]
Program (two-day event)
Friday, Feb. 21, 2020
- Morning: Check-in, welcome, master class, facility tours
- Afternoon: Lunch with current students, auditions, info sessions, campus tours
- Evening: Parent/student dinner with faculty, staff and current students, and see a performance of A Thousand Words
Saturday, Feb. 22
- Morning: Parent FAQ, acting/voice/movement workshops (required), lunch
- Afternoon: Auditions (for those who did not audition on Friday)
Scholarships are only available for Performance Majors (theatre minors or non-majors are not eligible).
You will need to plan ahead for your hotel reservations. The Office of Admissions recommends these Husker Preferred Hotels for your stay in Lincoln. The hotels below offer special discounts to Office of Admissions campus visitors. All rates are subject to hotel availability.
- The Lincoln Marriott Cornhusker Hotel
- Graduate Lincoln
- Hyatt Place
- New Victorian Suites
Hotel details: https://admissions.unl.edu/visit/#plan-your-trip/husker-hotels.
Questions? Please contact the Admissions Coordinator at 402/472-2453 or firstname.lastname@example.org.