APRIL 5, 2014 · WESTBROOK MUSIC BUILDING
Deadline: March 29, 2014
About Spring Strings
The Third Annual Spring Strings Festival will be held at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln for high school freshman, sophomores, juniors and seniors. Students will work directly with UNL’s award winning string faculty including members of the Grammy Award-nominated Chiara String Quartet, violin soloist David Neely, Lincoln Symphony Principal Violist Clark Potter, cellist with the Trio Nuovo and Concordia String Trio Dr. Karen Becker, and EMI and Innova recording artist Dr. Hans Sturm. Students attending the festival will have the opportunity to perform in a string orchestra, conducted by UNL Symphony Director, Dr. Tyler White, receive chamber music coaching from members of the Chiara Quartet, and perform in solo masterclasses with the UNL string faculty.
To attend the Spring Strings Festival, students must either submit 1) a nomination from their high school orchestra director or 2) have won a place in their state’s All State Orchestra or city’s Youth Symphony Orchestra by audition.
So that we may better organize the chamber music portion of this year's festival, students are required to apply through the Slideroom process (see directions below) and upload either audio or video files. Those wishing to compete must choose from the list of acceptable pieces. However, if you are not planning to compete and only wish to participate, then you may upload a performance of any piece you wish.
Students must complete the on-line registration form by the application deadline: March 29.
Recording The final rehearsal of the Spring Strings Festival Orchestra will be recorded and an MP3 of the recording will be sent to all the participants.
Junior students: Are you interested in majoring or minoring in music? If so, check out the audition requirements for the Glenn Korff School of Music.
Concerto Competition/Masterclass Participation Spring Strings will feature a concerto competition open to all students performing a single movement from a list of acceptable works with string accompaniment (listed below). Students wishing to compete or to perform in a masterclass need to submit an audio file of the piece they wish to perform with their on-line application.
The winner of the concerto competition will be recorded with the Spring Strings Festival Orchestra.
|Vivaldi: Four Seasons (Any)||Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No. 6||Haydn: C Major Cello Concerto||Dragonetti (G Major Concerto|
|Bach: E Major Concerto||Telemann: Concerto||Fauré: Elegie||Dittersdorf: D Major Concerto|
|Bach: A minor Concerto||Hindemith: Trauermusik||Vivaldi: Double Concerto||Bottesini: A minor Concerto|
|Bach: Double Violin Concerto|
concertos in orchestral tuning
Tentative Festival Schedule (subject to change)
Saturday, April 5 – All events to be held in the Westbrook Music Building
|9-10 AM||Festival Registration|
|10-11 AM||String Orchestra Rehearsal|
|11 AM-12||Chamber Music Coaching|
|1-2 PM||UNL Faculty and Student Chamber Recital|
|2-3 PM||Solo Masterclasses|
|3-4 PM||String Orchestra final rehearsal and recording|
Festival Fee and Registration
All festival applicants will be charged a fee of $5 for SildeRoom Submissions. All festival participants will be charged a small registration fee of $10 and must have their parents sign a release form so that they may be photographed and recorded during the festival.
We are using an application software run by Slide Room (see the instructions below.) Please read the application instructions before beginning the application process. USE THE STUDENT'S NAME & EMAIL ADDRESS WHEN CREATING AN APPLICATION ACCOUNT. There is a $5 non-refundable application fee.
NOTE: WE WILL NO LONGER ACCEPT AUDITION MATERIAL RECORDED ON CD/DVD.
High school freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors in good standing are eligible to audition for the Spring Strings Festival. All candidates must complete and submit a SlideRoom application AND submit a high quality audition recording by March 29, 2013. Incomplete applications will not be considered. It is the applicant's responsibility to complete the application process.
Participants under the age of 19 must have a parent or gardian Sign, Date and Return this form: Spring Stings Parent Gardian Information for their registration to be complete.
Email Jeff O'Brien if you have trouble with the on-line application form.
The Spring Strings Festival application form contains Flash software. You can access the form from any computer (Mac, PC or Android device) that uses Flash. You can start the form on one computer and finish it on another as long as you remember your password. Check with your school's IT people if you are having difficulty with the application site. Your school's security software may be blocking the site.
The form is quite easy to use so feel free to log on and start an application. You can change your answers, stop and come back later, add your recording at another time, until you click the submit button.
- Go to the Slide Room web page located at https://unlmusic.slideroom.com/#/Login.
- Set up an account using the applicant’s (STUDENT’S) e-mail address and a password of your choice. Be sure to click the SIGN UP button on your first entry. You will be sent an e-mail with a link to activate your account. You can leave and return to the application form repeatedly until you have completed all questions and have uploaded your audition recording(s). Click the LOG IN button on return visits to the application site.
- After you log in click on your name at the top of the screen. Choose Account Information from the drop down menu. This is where the applicant (STUDENT) provides us with contact information. PLEASE use the student’s name and not the parent’s name or the band director’s name (we’ll ask for that information on a subsequent screen). Remember to click the Save Changes button before exiting this screen.
- Click on the sentence Back to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Glenn Korff School of Music to return to the list of available programs where you will find the Spring Strings Festival application forms.
- The Available Programs screen will appear. Click on the Begin button to the right.
- Answer all of the questions on each of the screens. Click on the Continue button to take you to each successive screen. You may have to scroll down to see all of the questions depending on the size of your monitor. We apologize that there are two scroll bars present on some screens. That is a function of Flash software which we cannot change at this time.
- Upload your audition recording on the Media tab. We ask that file names start with your instrument and include your full name. Click the Add Media button on the right side of the screen to start the uploading process and follow the instructions on the screen.
- The final step is payment of the $5 application fee. Credit card information is required. Click the Submit tab and follow the instructions. The Slide Room site is secure. Your credit card will show a charge from Slide Room, not the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Note that you cannot return to the form once you complete all of the steps.
Questions? Contact Dr. Hans Sturm, 239 Westbrook Music Building, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE 68588-0100 email@example.com