Nebraska Young Artist Awards
The Nebraska Young Artist Awards annually recognize Nebraska high school juniors who are talented in art, music, dance, theatre, or film and new media. During the past 16 years, we have recognized more than 1,000 students from across the state. These students have been selected based on the quality of their art and were selected by our faculty to come to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln with their families as guests for a day of activities and awards ceremony. They see the campus, visit with UNL students and get information about what a career in some area of the arts could be like.
2013-2014 Academic Year
- This year's Nebraska Young Artist Awards Day will be Wednesday, April 9, 2014.
- Please read and follow the application guidelines closely. All submissions must be submitted online through Slideroom at unlarts.slideroom.com.
- Application materials are due Friday, Dec. 6, 2013. Notifications will be via e-mail, so be sure to register on Slideroom with an e-mail that you will have access to in February.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is eligible for the Award?
- Any high school junior in the state of Nebraska (including home schooled).
- What do I have to do to apply?
- View the guidelines above and follow the instructions for your area of interest. All applications must be submitted online this year via Slideroom at unlarts.slideroom.com. No mailed applications will be accepted. Each area of interest has separate guidelines, so please follow the instructions for your area of interest.
- What will I receive if I win?
- Nebraska Young Artist Award recipients will attend a day of activities on April 9, 2014, at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln to see what life in the arts is like at UNL. At the end of the day, we have an awards ceremony, where you receive a certificate and a special gift.
- Do I have to be nominated by my school?
- No. Anyone can submit an application online, and your letter of reference can be from either a school teacher or a private instructor.
- Is there a limit to how many applications can come from one school?
- No. Schools can encourage applications from as many students as they want.
- What do I have to submit for Visual Arts?
- Our Visual Arts guidelines have changed from previous years. You can now submit an image of any piece of artwork that you created in any medium—painting, drawing, photography, ceramics, sculpture, graphic design, printmaking or digital media. Choose your best work! But please only submit one image of your artwork. Remember, the sample of your work is the most important item in the judging process, so be sure what you submit is of the highest quality.
- Can I apply in more than one category?
- Yes, students may apply in up to three categories, but you should apply separately for each category.
- Who judges the applications?
- UNL Faculty in each area of interest judge the applications and select the recipients of the award. There is no set number of winners in each area of interest. We average approximately 150-200 applications each year, and typically select 60-70 award recipients.
- How do I submit a second application with the same account?
- Only one submission is allowed per e-mail account in the same category in Slideroom. (You can apply in multiple categories with the same e-mail.) If you are a teacher submitting applications on behalf of students, you will need separate e-mail addresses for each entry. Applications should be submitted in the name and e-mail of the students.
- Can we turn in applications or materials late?
- All applications need to be submitted online by 11:59 p.m. CST on Friday, Dec. 6. No late applications can be accepted, and all requested materials (including teacher recommendations) should be turned in by this time.
More questions? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have any other questions about the Nebraska Young Artist Awards.