Undergraduate Student Resources

Undergraduate Student Resources

For all general student inquiries, please contact:
School of Art, Art History & Design Office
Phone: (402) 472- 5522
E-mail: schoolaahd@unl.edu
120 Richards Hall
Lincoln, NE 68588-0114
(Southeast corner of T Street and Stadium Drive)

computer icon

Art and Graphic Design majors are required to own a laptop computer that meets or exceeds school requirements.

Read full computer specifications

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the requirements for a minor in Art or Art History?

Beginning Fall 2015, the minors in studio art and art history are as follows:
Note: "Plan B" is for students with two or more minors

Art-18 credit hours

  • Studio Electives- 12 credit hours: Select from the following areas: ceramics, drawing, photography, printmaking, sculpture, special topics, art at cedar point.
  • Art History- 3 credit hours: Select from AHIS101 or AHIS102
  • Additional Elective- 3 credit hours: Any art history or studio art course
  • A grade of C or better is required in all courses. Classes taken Pass/No Pass will not be applied toward the minor.
  • A maximum of 6 transfer credits will apply toward the minor requirements.

Art History-18 credit hours

  • AHIS 101 (3 cr) and 102 (3 cr).
  • Art History Electives- 12 credit hours including at least 3 credit hours numbered 300 or above.

Art History-12 credit hours (Plan B)

  • AHIS 101 (3 cr) and 102 (3 cr).
  • Art History Electives- 6 credit hours.

How do I obtain a permission number independent study in Art or Art History?

Independent study forms are available in 120 Richards Hall or you may download the form using the link below. A permission number for independent study will be released when the completed form is returned to the school office with all signatures. Click here for the form to request a permission number for independent study.

How do I obtain a permission number for an internship?

An Internship Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is available in the School of Art, Art History & Design office (120 Richards Hall). A permission number for an internship will be released when the MOU is completed and returned to the School of Art, Art History & Design office with all of the appropriate signatures.

How do I declare my major in Art, Art History, or Graphic Design?

If you are not yet a UNL student and you are applying to UNL, simply indicate that you want to major in Art, Art History, or Graphic Design on the UNL application. See the Undergraduate Bulletin for admission requirements. A portfolio is not required for undergraduate admission.

If you are currently a UNL student and would like to change your major to Art, Art History, or Graphic Design, follow these steps:

  1. Obtain a CDMA form from your current college.
  2. Go to 120 Richards Hall for initial advising and to have a faculty adviser assigned.
  3. Take your CDMA and a "Red Form" with your faculty adviser assignment to the Fine and Performing Arts Dean's Office in 102 Woods Hall.

*Note: The availability of seats in the required art foundation will determine whether eligible students can change their major to art or graphic design immediately, or whether they will be put on a waiting list. This determination will be made when you visit 120 Richards Hall (Step 2 above). The Hixson Lied College of Fine and Performing Arts requires a current and cumulative GPA of 2.0 for admission.