Credit and Time Requirements

Glenn Korff School of Music

Credit and Time Requirements

(1) For the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, the basic formula for calculating credit hours is as follows:


Academic units must follow the federal credit hour definition (please refer to A credit hour is an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than

1. One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out of class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester hour of credit, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time; or

2. At least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other academic activities as established by the institution including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours."



(2) For music courses that fall under the second point above, the following formulas apply:

In music private lessons, one semester hour of credit typically equals one half-hour lesson per week for the semester.

In music studio classes (departmentals or group lessons), one semester hour of credit typically equals one hour of studio class per week for the semester.

In ensemble classes, one semester hour of credit typically equals five hours of rehearsal time per week for the semester.

(3) For the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, the policy regarding transfer of credit form other institutions is as follows:

"The University of Nebraska-Lincoln endorses the Joint Statement on Transfer and Award of Academic Credit approved by the American Council on Education (ACE), the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO), and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). The current issue of Transfer Credit Practices of Designated Educational Institutions, published by AACRAO, is an example of a reference used in determining transfer credit.

Applicants must request an official transcript be sent to the Office of Admissions from each college attended. Failure to provide transcripts from all colleges or universities attended may result in denial of the application or dismissal from the university. Grades from institutions outside the universities in the NU System will be used for evaluation and admission, but will not become a part of the University cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA). Each degree college determines its policy for acceptance and application of grades below C to degree requirements."


and see also


(4) Course credit-hour assignments

Course credit-hour assignments at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln are monitored by a three-level review process that includes the Glenn Korff School of Music Curriculum Committee, the Hixson-Lied College of Fine and Performing Arts Curriculum Committee, and the University Curriculum Committee. All curriculum action requests (new degrees and courses, and degree and course changes), are mounted onto the university's on-line curriculum approval system ( for review and approval at every level.

Once the Committees have reviewed and approved the courses in turn, the Office of the Assistant Director of the University Registrar checks to be sure that University course credit-hour assignment policies have been correctly applied.

See Section 9.3.5 of the College Bylaws at
and see
Policies & Procedures Section (page 1) of the University Curriculum Committee Handbook at