You were born to dance
About the Dance Program
The Dance Program is part of the Glenn Korff School of Music in the Hixson-Lied College of Fine and Performing Arts. The Dance Studio and dance faculty offices are located in the Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts.
Play Kelli's Story
Dance classes are open to all UNL students according to the prerequisite listed in UNL Bulletin. Ballet and modern dance classes are the primary techniques offered with elective classes in other areas.
Performances are an integral part of the UNL Dance Program. The concert season includes one major production with works by faculty and guest artists each year and two informal productions which include student choreography and works in progress.
The UNL DanceProgram offers a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Dance and Minor in Dance
Both majors and minors in dance must successfully complete an audition
Program of Study
The program of study in dance offers a progression of classes, enabling you to take beginning, intermediate and advanced technique classes in a designated order. This graduated sequence produces skilled dancers who are able to participate in dance program concerts and department productions as well as community projects.
Other courses for you as a dance major include:
- Introduction to Dance
- Dance History: 20th Century and Beyond
- Dance Composition
- Kinesiology and Injury Prevention
- Dance Pedagogy
- Music for Dance and Repertory
- Improvisation and Performance
Dance students are given exceptional opportunities to attend master classes and workshops from guest artists and members of professional dance companies who are brought directly to the dance program or are performing at the Lied Center for Performing Arts.
- Jenna Riegel - Bill T Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company
- Paul Besaw - University of Vermont
- John McLaughlin - Douglas Dunn Dance Company (NYC)
- Troika Ranch
- Ballet Hispanico
- Rhythm McCarthy - North Carolina Dance Theatre
- Carol Mezzacappa - DanceConsort (NYC)
- Beijing Modern Dance Company
- Richard Alston
- River North
- Kennet Oberly - Stuttgart Ballet
- Dadisi Sanyika - Dembrebrah West African Drumming and Dance Ensemble
- Daniel Kubert - Bill T. Jones Dance Company
- Hubbard Street Dance Theater
- Miami City Ballet
- David Parson's Dance Company
- Twyla Tharp Dance Company
- Kim Robards - Kim Robards Dance Company (Denver)