Ph.D. Music Education - Apply Now
Students who are fully admissible will meet the following criteria:
- Previous Degree(s) in Music Educations (the bachelor's degree and/or the master's degree must be in Music Education, and a minimum GPA of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale for any previous graduate work is expected.
- GRE scores (verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing; not more than 5 years old; no minimum score is required)
and for international students, a paper TOEFL of 600 or an internet TOEFL score of 100 or an IELTS score of 7.0
- Professional experience: evidence of 3 years of fulltime P-12 teaching experience is preferred.
- Fit between the applicant's goals/interests and the department's ability to address those goals/interests.
- Evidence of writing abilities, and
- Evidence of teaching skills.
No one criterion is more important than another. The application file is reviewed as a total package.
Complete the 7-step Application Process, which includes:
Apply to the UNL Graduate College at: https://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/prospective/programs/Music
- - Complete UNL Graduate College application form (and $50 application fee) available on-line at www.unl.edu/gradstudies NOTE: Please specify degree and major as indicated above; you will not need to specify the area of emphasis
- - Include one unofficial copy of transcripts of all undergraduate work and all previous graduate work (including all studies for which credit was granted; e.g. summer institutes such as Aspen or Interlochen)
- - Request GRE scores (& TOEFL scores, if applicable) be sent to the UNL Graduate College. (UNL Graduate Studies | 1100 Seaton Hall | Lincoln, NE 68588-0619 | 402-472-2875)
Apply to the Glenn Korff School of Music through G.A.M.E.S. application at: games.unl.edu
- - A minimum of three letters of recommendation (requests sent via email addresses in the G.A.M.E.S. process)
- - Upload Video screening materials (details below)
- - Submit Application Portfolio (details below)
- - Schedule an interview. Please contact the Graduate Music Education Coordinator via email to schedule a date/time. firstname.lastname@example.org
Prepared Creative/Scholarly Materials:
- - Required Video screening (submitted during G.A.M.E.S. process in SlideRoom)
- Video samples of teaching showing at least two different teaching settings, not to exceed 10 minutes. Please include a brief narrative describing the context of the educational environment (i.e. class being taught, level of learners, goals and objectives, etc.).
(NOTE ABOUT VIDEO FILE SUBMISSIONS: The maximum file size of a single video is 120Mb, split large video submissions into pieces that are logical and under the file-size limits. We suggest that you review all submitted files carefully.) The fee for audio submission (up to five files) is $6.
- Required Application Portfolio (submitted during G.A.M.E.S.)
- • Cover letter of Application
• Statement of Purpose
• Evidence of Writing Ability (send copies of theses, articles, grants, etc.)