Grading Policy and Student Evaluations

All Glenn Korff School of Music courses should have a syllabus articulating a specific grading policy.

The grading scale used by the University of Nebraska is:

A+ = 4.0
B+ = 3.33
C+ = 2.33
D+ = 1.33
A = 4.0
B = 3.0
C = 2.0
D = 1.0
A- = 3.67
B- = 2.67
C- = 1.67
D- = 0.67

A letter grade of W (withdrew in good standing), I (incomplete), P (passing with a C or better), and N (no pass) may also be given. W, I, P, and N are not assigned grade points and are not used in computation of a student’s grade point average. A designation of “No Report” is simply the absence of any letter grade indication.

Applied music lessons and degree required music courses are not offered for the Pass/No Pass basis. Students should consult with their appropriate academic advisor before registering for any course with the Pass/No Pass option.

Grades lower than C earned at UNL or transferred from other schools cannot be applied toward requirements in a major, but may be applied toward total hours.

A student who fails to maintain a 2.0 grade point average (GPA) will be placed on academic probation or suspended.

Important: For additional information concerning grading policies (use of the grade Incomplete and No Report, the Pass/No pass option, etc.), and drop/add policies, refer to the current Undergraduate Bulletin, or the published Schedule of Classes.


Grievances that may involve criminal activity or regulatory issues such as Title IX or discrimination should not follow the guidelines below.  Instead, these grievances should be reported to the appropriate office or a University-recognized Responsible Employee.  A list of Responsible Employees can be found at

Students who wish to appeal a grade, a GKSOM policy or decision, or pursue another type of grievance, should follow these steps:
  1. The student should seek to determine if the issue can be resolved informally with the other person involved.
  2. If the grievance cannot be resolved informally, and the student wishes to continue the process, the student must present a formal grievance in writing to the Undergraduate Committee chair.  This written statement should include:
    • The student’s name, student ID, and contact information including email address
    • A detailed description explaining the grounds of the appeal or grievance, including the perceived harm sustained by the student
    • The name of the person with whom there is an issue, if applicable
    • A detailed description of attempts at informal resolution, or an explanation of why informal resolution was not pursued
    • Signatures and dates
  3. The Undergraduate Committee chair will utilize the Undergraduate Committee to explore the merits of the grievance, gather information, and render a decision. 
  4. If the student is not satisfied with the Committee’s decision, the grievance may be referred to the Director of the School of Music.  The student may also refer to the Student Grievance and Appeals Procedures Chart (prepared by the ASUN student government).  All information collected by the Undergraduate Committee will be forwarded to the Director.
  5. If the student does not feel the grievance was adequately addressed at the School of Music level, a grievance may be filed with the Dean of the Hixson-Lied College.  All information collected from the School of Music will be forwarded to the College.
The Hixson-Lied College of Fine and Performing Arts policy on cheating is:
  1. Students are expected to be honest in all aspects of their academic work.
  2. Academic judgments about a student’s work (including questions of cheating) are the responsibility if the instructor. (Normally disagreements are resolved by means of a conference between the student and the instructor.)
  3. When a student has been judged by the instructor to have cheated the student may be given a grade of an F on that assignment by the instructor and if the work in question is the final examination or some large proportion of the work for the course, the F may be given for the whole course.
  4. If the student disputes the instructor’s finding of academic dishonesty, the matter shall be referred to the UNL Judicial Officer as required by the UNL policy on Academic Dishonesty.
  5. Appeals rights of the student
    • The instructor must inform a student of the right of appeal at the time the student is accused of cheating.
    • If a student feels he or she is treated unjustly, the student may take the case to his or her department or school’s Grading Appeals Committee.
    • The student may appeal the departmental committee’s decision to the College Grading Appeals Committee if he or she is not satisfied.
Student evaluations are part of the materials submitted for annual review, promotion, and tenure of the faculty. In addition, evaluations are used by the faculty members for possible course modification, syllabus revision, and/or reinforcement of course content, materials, and teaching method effectiveness. It is important to complete carefully and thoroughly the evaluations.

Faculty members cannot access the evaluations until after final grade rosters have been submitted.