Vision – We embrace what our UNL “A 2020 Vision” white paper calls “an uncompromising commitment to excellence” in the disciplines of music and dance.
Mission – The Glenn Korff School of Music nurtures the creativity, artistry, and scholarship of students and faculty; educates students to achieve excellence as educators, performers, composers, and scholars; and enriches the education of all students through the study and practice of music and dance. The historic and continuing commitment of the Glenn Korff School of Music to teacher education infuses a fundamental commitment to the teaching of comprehensive musicianship into all aspects of the curriculum. The School provides opportunities to understand, participate in, and enjoy music and dance. It has a responsibility for fulfilling this mission, not only for the citizens of Nebraska, but also for its constituency regionally, nationally, and internationally. In fulfillment of its mission, the School:
- Offers programs of study in music at the bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels;
- Offers programs of study in dance at the bachelor’s level;
- Provides professional preparation for educators, performers, composers, and scholars;
- Stimulates research and creative work that fosters discovery, pushes frontiers, and advances society;
- Serves the state and region as an important educational, artistic, and cultural resource;
- Develops supportive and knowledgeable audiences and patrons for music and dance;
- Sustains a strong commitment to liberal education through its course offerings and performance opportunities;
- Maintains a strong commitment to life-long learning;
- Provides leadership that fosters the development of music and the arts in the state, region, and nation.
 “A 2020 Vision: The Future of Research and Graduate Education at UNL” (Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska-Lincoln, March 2000), p. 4; accesssed at https://svcaa.unl.edu/documents/2020report.pdf on November 22, 2017.