Probation or Termination

Graduate students in the Glenn Korff School of Music are expected to maintain a high level of achievement in their graduate studies. Accordingly, students who do not maintain satisfactory progress may be subject to being placed on probation, being terminated from a degree program, or being denied permission to continue graduate studies in the University. Except in cases of dismissal because of violations of the Student Code of Conduct, upon termination from a graduate degree program and/or dismissal from the Graduate College, students may apply for admission to another degree program or admission as a non-degree seeking student only with the approval of the Dean for Graduate Studies. No student on probation may receive a graduate degree.

Probation or termination recommendations may be made by the student’s adviser (masters students) or [the Supervisory Committee (doctoral students)] in writing, and must be approved by the Graduate Committee overseeing the student’s major. The Graduate Committee overseeing the student’s major must communicate the probation or termination recommendation in writing to the campus Dean for Graduate Studies. A copy of the recommendation must be sent to the student.

For all graduate students at UNL, probation or termination recommendations may be made under the following conditions: a) violations of the "Student Code of Conduct" listed in the Graduate Bulletin, b) failure to satisfy "Scholastic Grade Requirements" also listed in the Graduate Bulletin, c) failure in qualifying examinations, preliminary examinations, comprehensive examinations or final degree examinations, d) failure to master the methodology and content of one’s field in a manner that is sufficient to complete a successful thesis or dissertation., or e) in fields leading to licensure or certification, ethical misconduct or lack of professional promise in the professional field. Termination recommendations may also be made if a student fails to satisfy conditions required for removal of probationary status or provisional admission. Students have the right to appeal a probation or termination recommendation following procedures stipulated in the 'General Appeals Procedures . . .’ section of the Graduate Bulletin.