Transfer of Credit

The following points clarify the transfer policy for graduate credit to the Glenn Korff School of Music: •Not less than 50 percent of the course work (excluding thesis or doctoral document) of the minimum number of graduate credits required for the Master of Music, DMA, or Ph.D degree must be completed at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

  • Courses repeated for credit must show substantially different content in order to be considered for multiple transfer credits.  (It is the student’s responsibility to provide documentation of these content differences through syllabi, written communication from the instructor, or other appropriate supporting materials.)
  • All non-distance learning credits presented for transfer must meet the UNL contact hour requirement of no more than one credit hour awarded for each 15 hours of student/teacher instructional contact.
  • No graduate credits will be accepted as transfer credits unless earned at an institution that offers a comparable masters degree in music or music education. No graduate credits will be accepted as transfer credits unless earned at an institution fully accredited to offer graduate work in the field of the student’s major. Additionally, all institutions from which transfer credits are presented must be listed in the book Accredited Institutions of Postsecondary Education and must be authorized to offer graduate credit. [NOTE:  We must accept the 3rd statement in this bullet point (underlined) because it is a Graduate College rule; the other two statements are more stringent and allowed by the Graduate College, but we would need to affirm our desire to apply these rules.]
  • The Glenn Korff School of Music Graduate Committee must approve each transfer credit. Approval is granted on the basis that the quality and suitability of the course to be transferred is equal to or superior to offerings available at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. A student seeking to transfer credit for a particular course should submit information about the content of that course to the Graduate Committee. Upon approval of transfer credit(s) by the Graduate Committee, the request is forwarded to the Office of Graduate Studies for final approval. It is the responsibility of the student to insure that official transcripts of graduate work taken elsewhere are sent by the institution where the work was completed and received by the Office of Graduate Studies well before the student plans to complete all other requirements for the graduate degree. Official transcripts should be sent directly to the Dean for Graduate Studies, 1100 Seaton Hall, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE, 68588-0619. (To be inserted as the "Transfer of Credit Policy" for both the DMA and MM Handbooks.