For priority consideration for Graduate Assistantships and/or Fellowships, two deadlines must be met:
December 15, 2023
Completion of graduate applications for all degree programs/specializations
(The priority consideration deadline for Summer MM-Music Education fellowships is May 1, 2023)
January 27, 2024
Graduate audition day and deadline for completion of all *required auditions
(*Conducting auditions must be completed by January 24, 2024)
For prospective Composition majors, these materials include uploaded scores and audio/video submission of scored materials (details below). These screening materials are due by December 15.
Application Checklist - Specific Requirements
Begin by applying online at http://go.unl.edu/gradapp
1. Create an account.
2. Complete your application.
• You will be asked to upload scanned copies of your transcripts showing all postsecondary coursework completed, including all studies for which credit was granted (e.g. summer institutes such as Aspen or Interlochen). Further information can be found at https://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/admissions/requirements#transcripts. We require: Undergraduate GPA = 2.75/4.00 scale.
• Students whose native language is not English or who have not previously earned a degree from an institution at which English is the official medium of instruction must enter their TOEFL or IELTS score and upload a copy of their score report. Official scores should be sent directly to UNL. Further information can be found at https://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/prospective/international/english. We require: TOEFL iBT 79 or IELTS 6.5 overall band score.
• You will need to provide contact information, including an email address, for each person from whom you wish a reference. For each recommender, click the Submit Recommendation Request button to send a letter request to your reference writer. A minimum of three letters of recommendation is required; four recommendation letters are recommended.
• You will need to submit any “Prepared Creative /Scholarly Materials Requirement” marked with an asterisks (*) below as part of the initial application process.
3. Submit your application and pay the application fee of $50 ($25 if you are currently an active student at UNL). After you’ve clicked “Submit,” validated your information, and paid the application fee, you’ll receive a confirmation email indicating that the application was successfully submitted.
4. Submit required “Prepared Creative /Scholarly Materials Requirements” (see below) marked with a bullet (•) via SlideRoom, a resource manager of The Common Application. A SlideRoom account can be created by going to https://unlarts.slideroom.com/#/login and clicking on “Apply Now.” Once the account has been created, scroll down on this page and select “GKSOM-Priority GA Graduate Application Material Submission (2022).
Prepared Creative/Scholarly Materials:
* A portfolio of 3-5 scores submitted in PDF format. (Note: If submitting work that does not have a score, e.g. electronic compositions, upload a PDF document outlining the technology used to compose the work in place of a score.)
• Recordings of the submitted compositions. Live recordings are encouraged, but MIDI recordings are acceptable.
NOTE: The composition faculty will review all applications; applicants who meet prescreening requirements will be contacted by the faculty to schedule an interview. This personal interview with members of our composition faculty is required. Discussion topics may include your background as a composer and performer, your theory proficiency, and other relevant topics.
Master of Music
Music Composition Specialization
|Area||Course||Credit Hrs||Total Credits|
|Major Area Courses||15 hrs|
|MUCP 983-Composition||9 hrs|
|MUSC 899-Thesis||6 hrs|
|MUSR 98-Recital||0 hrs|
|Other Music Studies (Music Core)||11 hrs|
|MUSC 836-Intro to Grad Studies||2 hrs|
|History and Theory||9 hrs|
|Theory: (3 or 6 hrs)|
|History: (3 or 6 hrs)|
|MUSR 69-Recital Attendance (4 semesters)||0 hrs|