For priority consideration for Graduate Assistantships and/or Fellowships, two deadlines must be met:
December 15, 2020
Completion of Graduate Applications for all degree programs/specializations
(except Summer MM-Music Education*)
February 6, 2021
Completion of Graduate Auditions (if required)
*The deadline for priority consideration of fellowships for Summer MM-Music Education applicants is April 1, 2021.
For prospective Composition majors, these materials include uploaded scores and audio/video submission of scored materials (details below). These screening materials are due by December 15.
Application Checklist - Specific Requirements
Begin by applying online at http://go.unl.edu/gradapp
1. Create an account.
2. Complete your application.
• You will be asked to upload scanned copies of your transcripts showing all postsecondary coursework completed, including all studies for which credit was granted (e.g. summer institutes such as Aspen or Interlochen). Further information can be found at https://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/admissions/requirements#transcripts. We require: Undergraduate GPA = 2.75/4.00 scale.
• Students whose native language is not English or who have not previously earned a degree from an institution at which English is the official medium of instruction must enter their TOEFL or IELTS score and upload a copy of their score report. Official scores should be sent directly to UNL. Further information can be found at https://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/prospective/international/english. We require: TOEFL iBT 79 or IELTS 6.5 overall band score.
• You will need to provide contact information, including an email address, for each person from whom you wish a reference. For each recommender, click the Submit Recommendation Request button to send a letter request to your reference writer. A minimum of three letters of recommendation is required; four recommendation letters are recommended.
• You will need to submit any “Prepared Creative /Scholarly Materials Requirement” marked with an asterisks below as part of the initial application process.
3. Submit your application and pay the application fee of $50 ($25 if you are currently an active student at UNL). After you’ve clicked “Submit,” validated your information, and paid the application fee, you’ll receive a confirmation email indicating that the application was successfully submitted, and providing you with a link to submit information regarding your composition portfolio recordings and graduate assistant preferences.
4. Submit required “Prepared Creative /Scholarly Materials Requirements” (see below) marked with a bullet. Audio files can be submitted using a streaming service like Soundcloud, or links to embedded audio on a personal website — please DO NOT direct link to a password-protected cloud service like Google Drive. If you wish to submit a video as part of your portfolio, you may provide a link to a platform such as VidGrid, Vimeo, or YouTube. Share all links to your materials on the "2021 Graduate Audition/Creative Materials & GA Information Form.”
Prepared Creative/Scholarly Materials:
*A portfolio of 3 to 5 scores (PDF), in an array of media and genres.
•Audio or video composition recordings of the portfolio scores.
The composition faculty will review all applications which are complete by the application deadline; applicants who meet prescreening requirements will be contacted by the faculty to schedule an interview. This personal interview with members of our composition faculty is required. Discussion topics may include your background as a composer and performer, your theory proficiency, and other relevant topics.
Master of Music
Option I - Plan C - Music Composition Emphasis
|Area||Course||Credit Hrs||Total Credits|
|Major Area Courses||15 hrs|
|MUCP 983-Composition||9 hrs|
|MUSC 899-Thesis||6 hrs|
|MUSR 98-Recital||0 hrs|
|Other Music Studies (Music Core)||11 hrs|
|MUSC 836-Intro to Grad Studies||2 hrs|
|History and Theory||9 hrs|
|Theory: (3 or 6 hrs)|
|History: (3 or 6 hrs)|
|MUSR 68-Recital Attendance (4 semesters)||0 hrs|