For priority consideration for Graduate Assistantships and/or Fellowships, two deadlines must be met:
December 15, 2022
Completion of graduate applications for all degree programs/specializations
(The priority consideration deadline for Summer MM-Music Education fellowships is May 1, 2023)
January 21, 2023
Graduate audition day and deadline for completion of all required auditions
(Conducting auditions must be completed by January 27, 2023)
Application Checklist - Specific Requirements
Begin by applying online at http://go.unl.edu/gradapp.
- Create an account.
- Complete your application.
- You will be asked to upload scanned copies of your transcripts showing all postsecondary coursework completed, including all studies for which credit was granted (e.g. summer institutes such as Aspen or Interlochen). Further information can be found at https://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/admissions/requirements#transcripts. We require: Undergraduate GPA = 2.75/4.00 scale.
- Students whose native language is not English or who have not previously earned a degree from an institution at which English is the official medium of instruction must enter their TOEFL or IELTS score and upload a copy of their score report. Official scores should be sent directly to UNL. Further information can be found at https://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/prospective/international/english. We require: TOEFL iBT 79 or IELTS 6.5 overall band score.
- You will need to provide contact information, including an email address, for each person from whom you wish a reference. For each recommender, click the Submit Recommendation Request button to send a letter request to your reference writer. A minimum of three letters of recommendation is required; four recommendation letters are recommended.
3. Submit your application and pay the application fee of $50 ($25 if you are currently an active student at UNL). After you’ve clicked “Submit,” validated your information, and paid the application fee, you’ll receive a confirmation email indicating that the application was successfully submitted, and providing you with a link to the "2023 Graduate Audition/Creative Materials & GA Information Form” to submit information regarding graduate assistant preferences.
4. Prepare the required “Prepared Creative /Scholarly Materials Requirements” (see below).
Prepared Creative/Scholarly Materials Requirements: To assist candidates in achieving success in the required audition, the following requirements have been set by the area. Please refer to the instructions below in knowing how to prepare.
• Prepare three pieces in contrasting styles from memory..
Master of Music
Option III - Piano Pedagogy and Performance Emphasis
|Area||Course||Credit Hrs||Total Credits|
|Applied Music||MUAP 902- Piano||9 hrs|
|Pedagogy:||MUSC 824 - Piano Ped I||3 hrs|
|MUSC 825 - Piano Ped II||3 hrs|
|MUSC 826 - Piano Ped III||3 hrs|
|MUSC 827 - Piano Ped IV||3 hrs|
|Literature:||MUSC 876 - Piano Lit OR||3 hrs|
|MUSC 877 - Piano Lit Seminar||3 hrs|
|Core Courses||11 hrs|
|MUSC 836 - Intro to Grad Studies||2 hrs|
|History and Theory||9 hrs|
|Theory: (3 or 6 hrs)|
|History: (3 or 6 hrs)|
|Other Music Courses||4 hrs|
|MUEN 845 Grad Ensemble and/or MUEN 852||3-4 hrs|
|MUSR 68-Recital Attendance (4 semesters)||0 hrs|
|Recital||MUSR 98||0 hrs|
18 of the hours must be in courses for Graduate Students only.
The recital is normally completed in the third semester.