For priority consideration for Graduate Assistantships and/or Fellowships, two deadlines must be met:
December 15, 2020
Completion of Graduate Applications for all degree programs/specializations
(except Summer MM-Music Education*)
February 6, 2021
Completion of Graduate Auditions (if required)
*The deadline for priority consideration of fellowships for Summer MM-Music Education applicants is April 1, 2021.
Application Checklist - Specific Requirements
Begin by applying online at http://go.unl.edu/gradapp.
- Create an account.
- Complete your application.
- You will be asked to upload scanned copies of your transcripts showing all postsecondary coursework completed, including all studies for which credit was granted (e.g. summer institutes such as Aspen or Interlochen). Further information can be found at https://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/admissions/requirements#transcripts. We require: Undergraduate GPA = 2.75/4.00 scale.
- Students whose native language is not English or who have not previously earned a degree from an institution at which English is the official medium of instruction must enter their TOEFL or IELTS score and upload a copy of their score report. Official scores should be sent directly to UNL. Further information can be found at https://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/prospective/international/english. We require: TOEFL iBT 79 or IELTS 6.5 overall band score.
- You will need to provide contact information, including an email address, for each person from whom you wish a reference. For each recommender, click the Submit Recommendation Request button to send a letter request to your reference writer. A minimum of three letters of recommendation is required; four recommendation letters are recommended.
3. Submit your application and pay the application fee of $50 ($25 if you are currently an active student at UNL). After you’ve clicked “Submit,” validated your information, and paid the application fee, you’ll receive a confirmation email indicating that the application was successfully submitted, and providing you with a link to submit information regarding your graduate assistant preferences. (Neither an audition or an interview is required for this degree.) NOTE: MM Music History applicants do not need to submit to an in-person interview as part of their application process. They are, however, encouraged to visit the Glenn Korff School of Music to meet the faculty, sit in on classes, visit with current students, and learn up-close about the opportunities available here. To schedule a visit, please contact Prof. Anthony Bushard at email@example.com. We would also encourage applicants to schedule a Skype/FaceTime interview if a "live" visit doesn't work.
Prepared Creative/Scholarly Materials Requirements:
*Examples of scholarly/creative materials, such as an analytical term paper or research document on a music history topic.
Master of Music
Option I - Plan A - Music History Emphasis
|Area||Course||Credit Hrs||Total Credits|
|Major Area Courses||18 hrs|
|MUSC 986 Seminar in History/Literature||3 hrs|
|MUSC 942 Pedagogy of Music History||3 hrs|
|Music History (see list of courses in Handbook)||6 hrs|
|MUSC 899 Thesis||6 hrs|
|Other Music Studies(Music Core)||8 hrs|
|MUSC 836-Intro to Grad Studies||2 hrs|
|MUSC 941 (Theory Ped), MUSC 979 (Theory Sem), MUSC 861 (Comp Analysis), or MUSC 856 (Schenkerian)||3 hrs|
|Music Theory (see list of courses in Handbook)||3 hrs|
|MUSR 68-Recital Attendance (4 semesters)||0 hrs|
|Electives||(NOTE: 2 credits must be non-music history)||4 hrs|