For priority consideration for Graduate Assistantships and/or Fellowships, two deadlines must be met:
December 15, 2022
Completion of graduate applications for all degree programs/specializations
(The priority consideration deadline for Summer MM-Music Education fellowships is May 1, 2023)
January 21, 2023
Deadline for completion of all required auditions
(Conducting auditions must be completed by January 27, 2023)
Application Checklist - Specific Requirements
Begin by applying online at http://go.unl.edu/gradapp.
- Create an account.
- Complete your application.
- You will be asked to upload scanned copies of your transcripts showing all postsecondary coursework completed, including all studies for which credit was granted (e.g. summer institutes such as Aspen or Interlochen). Further information can be found at https://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/admissions/requirements#transcripts. We require: Undergraduate GPA = 2.75/4.00 scale.
- Students whose native language is not English or who have not previously earned a degree from an institution at which English is the official medium of instruction must enter their TOEFL or IELTS score and upload a copy of their score report. Official scores should be sent directly to UNL. Further information can be found at https://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/prospective/international/english. We require: TOEFL iBT 79 or IELTS 6.5 overall band score.
- You will need to provide contact information, including an email address, for each person from whom you wish a reference. For each recommender, click the Submit Recommendation Request button to send a letter request to your reference writer. A minimum of three letters of recommendation is required; four recommendation letters are recommended.
- You will need to submit any “Prepared Creative /Scholarly Materials Requirements” (see below) marked with an asterisk (*) as part of the initial application process.
3. Submit your application and pay the application fee of $50 ($25 if you are currently an active student at UNL). After you’ve clicked “Submit,” validated your information, and paid the application fee, you’ll receive a confirmation email indicating that the application was successfully submitted.
4. Submit required “Prepared Creative /Scholarly Materials Requirements” (see below) marked with a bullet (•) via SlideRoom, a resource manager of The Common Application. A SlideRoom account can be created by going to https://unlarts.slideroom.com/#/login and clicking on “Apply Now.” Once the account has been created, scroll down on this page and select “GKSOM-Priority GA Graduate Application Material Submission (2022).”
Prepared Creative/Scholarly Materials Requirements:
* A 1-to-2 page type-written statement of philosophy of music education (PDF preferred).
• A 10-15 minute video file demonstrating representative work in the classroom or rehearsal hall.
|Area||Course||Credit Hrs||Total Credits|
|Core Courses||18 hrs|
|• MUED 836-Psychology/Sociology of Music||3 hrs|
|• MUED 843 Research||3 hrs|
|• MUED 845 Historical & Philosophical Foundations of American Music Education||3 hrs|
|• MUED 928 Curriculum||3 hrs|
|• MUED 838 Inclusive Music Education||3 hrs|
|• MUED 832 Core Arts Standards: A Context for Beginning Graduate Studies in Music Education||3 hrs|
|Other Music Education Course||one course from the following:||3 hrs|
|+ MUED 862 Choral Lit and Conducting for School Ensembles|
|– MUED 863 Instrumental Lit and Conducting for School Ensembles|
|* MUED 893 Workshop Seminar: Orff Schulwerk|
|Music Courses (minor)||9 hrs|
|MUSC 861 Comprehensive Analysis||3 hrs|
|MUSC 840 Technology Strategies Teaching Composition||3 hrs|
|* MUSC 839 Music in the Lives of People
+ MUSC 870 Intro to Vocal Pedagogy
– MUSC 862A Brass/Percussion Lit & Ped
– MUSC 862E Woodwind Lit & Ped
|Supporting Courses||Select courses from MUSC, MUED (workshops), or other Depts. (e.g., EDAD, EDPS)||6 hrs|
• = For all Students
+ = For Choral Emphasis
– = For Instrumental Emphasis
* = For General Music Emphasis