For priority consideration for funding (GTAs or fellowships), Graduate Applications must be completed by:
January 15th, 2019
(All Degrees Programs)
April 1st, 2019
(Summer MM-Music Educ ONLY)
Preferred graduate audition days:
February 8, 2019
February 9, 2019
All other graduate auditions, except conducting; conducting auditions will be arranged by the faculty
Submissions will be reviewed starting on January 15, 2019.
Application Checklist - Specific Requirements
You must begin by applying to the UNL Graduate College at:
- To start the whole process you must complete the UNL Graduate College application form (with its $50 application fee), available on-line at www.unl.edu/gradstudies
- The Graduate College application will send you to an on-line site called G.A.M.E.S., where you will begin the specific application for the Glenn Korff School of Music. You can save material in G.A.M.E.S. and return to it via its own website (see below) to complete the music application.
Complete your application to the Glenn Korff School of Music through G.A.M.E.S. at:
- You will need your NUID and Password to login to this application.
- You must upload all transcripts into MyRed. You will need one copy of transcripts of all undergraduate work and all previous graduate work (including all studies for which credit was granted; e.g. summer institutes such as Aspen or Interlochen). Further information can be found at: https://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/prospective/reqs#transcripts
- We require:
Undergraduate GPA = 2.75/4.00 scale
- International Students (only) must enter their TOEFL score into G.A.M.E.S. and also have scores sent directly to UNL. Further information can be found at https://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/prospective/international/english We require:
TOEFL minimum = Paper-550 Internet-79 (IELTS 6.5)
- You will need to provide contact information, including an email address, for each person from whom you wish a reference. Then for each one you must click the send request button to notify your reference writer.
- You will request an Audition/Interview, and submit any and all required creative/scholarly works, through G.A.M.E.S.; for video/audio submissions, you will be directed inside G.A.M.E.S. to another website called SlideRoom.
- Prepared Live Audition Materials:
- To assist candidates in achieving success, the following requirements have been set by the area. Please refer to the list below in knowing how to prepare.
Auditions are requested on the G.A.M.E.S. website.
- The first movement of a major concerto
- One movement of a sonata
- One movement of a Bach Suite
20-25 minutes of music to include:
- the first movement of a major concerto
- a movement of a sonata
- a movement of solo Bach
- One movement of a concerto
- Two contrasting movements from the Bach Solo Partitas or Sonatas
- Two contrasting concert works of applicant's choice, one of which has to be written after 1945.
- One slow and one fast movement from works such as Vanhal, Concerto; Hindemith, Sonata; Koussevitzky, Concerto or other equivalent
- A solo movement of applicant’s choice.
Applicants should be prepared to perform three contrasting major works from different stylistic periods that best represent the applicant’s technical and artistic strengths.