For priority consideration for Graduate Assistantships and/or Fellowships, two deadlines must be met:
December 15, 2022
Completion of graduate applications for all degree programs/specializations
(The priority consideration deadline for Summer MM-Music Education fellowships is May 1, 2023)
January 21, 2023
Graduate audition day and deadline for completion of all required auditions
(Conducting auditions must be completed by January 27, 2023)
Application Checklist - Specific Requirements
Begin by applying online at http://go.unl.edu/gradapp.
- Create an account.
- Complete your application.
- You will be asked to upload scanned copies of your transcripts showing all postsecondary coursework completed, including all studies for which credit was granted (e.g. summer institutes such as Aspen or Interlochen). Further information can be found at https://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/admissions/requirements#transcripts. We require: Undergraduate GPA = 2.75/4.00 scale.
- Students whose native language is not English or who have not previously earned a degree from an institution at which English is the official medium of instruction must enter their TOEFL or IELTS score and upload a copy of their score report. Official scores should be sent directly to UNL. Further information can be found at https://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/prospective/international/english. We require: TOEFL iBT 79 or IELTS 6.5 overall band score.
- You will need to provide contact information, including an email address, for each person from whom you wish a reference. For each recommender, click the Submit Recommendation Request button to send a letter request to your reference writer. A minimum of three letters of recommendation is required; four recommendation letters are recommended.
3. Submit your application and pay the application fee of $50 ($25 if you are currently an active student at UNL). After you’ve clicked “Submit,” validated your information, and paid the application fee, you’ll receive a confirmation email indicating that the application was successfully submitted, and providing you with a link to submit information regarding your audition video and graduate assistant preferences.
4. Submit required “Prepared Creative /Scholarly Materials Requirements” (see below) marked with a bullet (•) via SlideRoom, a resource manager of The Common Application. A SlideRoom account can be created by going to https://unlarts.slideroom.com/#/login and clicking on “Apply Now.” Once the account has been created, scroll down on this page and select “GKSOM-Priority GA Graduate Application Material Submission (2022).”
Prepared Creative/Scholarly Materials Requirements:
•Submit the required Pre-Screening video materials, with the following parameters, no later than December 15:
Video Materials (2 options)
- Two segments of approximately 10 minutes each consisting of (1) rehearsal footage demonstrating the applicant’s abilities teaching, assessing, coaching, and developing ensemble skills and (2) performance footage from the ensemble’s perspective (conductor’s face is visible) demonstrating the applicant’s abilities as a creative colleague and performer, OR
- Conduct any available recordings of a minimum of two contrasting songs demonstrating the applicant’s gestures. Combined time should be approximately 15 minutes. Clear visibility of the conductor’s face, arms, and hands at all times. Audio of the recording must also be heard in the video.
Both options are given the same level of consideration. There is no restriction as to the profile of the ensemble (elementary, middle school, high school, college, professional/military, community) for option 1. The applicant should select the footage that illustrates their best work in partnership with the ensemble. Careful consideration should be given to the quality of the repertoire and suitability for the ensemble’s skills and for graduate conducting study.
Master of Music
Option III - Choral Conducting Emphasis
|Area||Course||Credit Hrs||Total Credits|
|MUAP 801 - Voice
MUSC 870 - Intro to Vocal Pedagogy
MUEN 852 - Chamber Ensemble
|Core Courses||23 hrs|
|MUAP 921 - Choral Conducting (over 4 semesters)||8 hrs|
|MUSC 972x - Choral Literature (over 4 semesters)||4 hrs|
|MUSC 836 - Intro to Grad Studies||2 hrs|
|History and Theory||9 hrs|
|Theory: (3 or 6 hrs)|
|History: (3 or 6 hrs)|
|Other Music Courses||6-7 hrs|
|MUEN 845 (Choral Ensembles)||4 hrs|
|MUSR 68-Recital Attendance (4 semesters)||0 hrs|
|Electives (approved by advisor-e.g., choral conductor enrolling
in orchestral conducting, diction, etc.)
|Conducting Project||MUSC 995||3 hrs|