For priority consideration for Graduate Assistantships and/or Fellowships, two deadlines must be met:
December 15, 2022
Completion of graduate applications for all degree programs/specializations
(The priority consideration deadline for Summer MM-Music Education fellowships is May 1, 2023)
January 21, 2023
Graduate audition day and deadline for completion of all required auditions
(Conducting auditions must be completed by January 27, 2023)
Application Checklist - Specific Requirements
Begin by applying online at http://go.unl.edu/gradapp.
- Create an account.
- Complete your application.
- You will be asked to upload scanned copies of your transcripts showing all postsecondary coursework completed, including all studies for which credit was granted (e.g. summer institutes such as Aspen or Interlochen). Further information can be found at https://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/admissions/requirements#transcripts. We require: Undergraduate GPA = 2.75/4.00 scale.
- Students whose native language is not English or who have not previously earned a degree from an institution at which English is the official medium of instruction must enter their TOEFL or IELTS score and upload a copy of their score report. Official scores should be sent directly to UNL. Further information can be found at https://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/prospective/international/english. We require: TOEFL iBT 79 or IELTS 6.5 overall band score.
- You will need to provide contact information, including an email address, for each person from whom you wish a reference. For each recommender, click the Submit Recommendation Request button to send a letter request to your reference writer. A minimum of three letters of recommendation is required; four recommendation letters are recommended.
3. Submit your application and pay the application fee of $50 ($25 if you are currently an active student at UNL). After you’ve clicked “Submit,” validated your information, and paid the application fee, you’ll receive a confirmation email indicating that the application was successfully submitted, and providing you with a link to submit information regarding your audition video and graduate assistant preferences.
4. Submit required “Prepared Creative /Scholarly Materials Requirements” (see below) marked with a bullet (•) via SlideRoom, a resource manager of The Common Application. A SlideRoom account can be created by going to https://unlarts.slideroom.com/#/login and clicking on “Apply Now.” Once the account has been created, scroll down on this page and select “GKSOM-Priority GA Graduate Application Material Submission (2022).”
Prepared Creative/Scholarly Materials Requirements:
•Required Pre-Screening Video Footage, with these parameters, to be completed (materials submitted and reviewed) no later than December 15:
(1) Approximately 10 minutes of rehearsal footage demonstrating the applicant’s abilities teaching, assessing, coaching, and developing ensemble skills.
(2) Approximately 10 minutes of performance footage from the ensemble’s perspective (conductor’s face is visible) demonstrating the applicant’s abilities as a creative colleague and performer.
(3) There is no restriction as to the profile of the ensemble (elementary, middle school, high school, college, professional/military, community). The applicant should select the footage that illustrates their best work in partnership with the ensemble. Careful consideration should be given to the quality of the repertoire and suitability for the ensemble’s skills and for graduate conducting study.
NOTE: Applicants whose Pre-Audition Screening is approved should confer with the Director of Orchestral Activites, Dr. Tyler White (firstname.lastname@example.org, regarding the date and time of the audition and the literature to be conducted for the audition. The audition will begin with a run-through of the selected repertoire, followed by 5 to 10 minutes of rehearsal (lead at the discretion of the applicant). For the remainder of the audition, the applicant will be coached in a "quasi-lesson format" by the Director of Orchestras.
Master of Music
Option III - Orchestral Conducting Emphasis
|Area||Course||Credit Hrs||Total Credits|
|MUAP 8xx - (applied major instrument)
MUSC 862x - (applied major instrumental pedagogy)
MUEN 852 - Chamber Ensemble
|Core Courses||23 hrs|
|MUAP 922 - Orchestral Conducting (over 4 semesters)||8 hrs|
|MUSC 973x - Orchestral Literature (over 4 semesters)||4 hrs|
|MUSC 836-Intro to Grad Studies||2 hrs|
|History and Theory||9 hrs|
|Theory: (3 or 6 hrs)|
|History: (3 or 6 hrs)|
|Other Music Courses||6-7 hrs|
|MUEN 845A-Symphonic Orchestra||4 hrs|
|MUSR 68-Recital Attendance (4 semesters)||0 hrs|
|Electives (approved by advisor-e.g., orchestral conductor
enrolling in choral conducting, etc.)
|Conducting Project||MUSC 995||3 hrs|